EvilP 更新于 2022-10-01 14:14
- Fanstratics Troop: Basilisk.
- With an origin shrouded in a mysterious evolution of serpent scales and hen feathers, the Basilisk is the only non-Chimeran Troop able to turn Enemies into stone. Lithe and lethal, it is faster than the snake-like Medusa, but less focused when attempting to turn Enemy Troops into stone. Able to engage multiple targets, in specific occasions, the Basilisk’s smoldering stare is a quantity over quality Assault. I put the Basilisk in front of Justin at least twice before, and each occasion, he nudged it aside as he just wasn’t ready to tackle it. This month, he was ready. We tried playing around with the eyes, but different iterations simply got in the way of his overall design. So, as is somewhat common, less was more, and I’m very happy with the final result. For those of you who want to see Justin actually create the drawing, you can always watch a VOD of his Twitch stream.
- Fanstratics Question: I really really love the way the Rampart town was made graphically (green forest, nice cottages, a well/spring, mountains with green dragons and white fog in the distance, all a happy place filled with fresh nature, such a joy to watch. Reminds me of my mountaineering trips. And that music for the town, beyond real. Such a great masterpiece overall. So, my wish about this is maybe in this new game you could do something similar with a town. Capture that feeling that I described as true to the original as possible if you can. As you said in the newsletter that as a game designer you have to understand other people`s ideas even they don`t express them in a clear way (as you did with the guy who did not like the game`s main screen with the angel but was not sure what he did not liked) so I believe you can capture the feeling of Rampart and understand more than anyone what I am trying to say here.
- I think you will like the Thornwood faction, as they are the Fanstratics parallel to the Rampart. Generally speaking, I try to give the artists a broad direction and let them run, so the Thornwood won’t be exactly the same, but its theme is very similar: enchanted forest.
- Fanstratics Question: You mentioned that the game will not have science fiction like in HoMM3, referring to the large number of players who do not like it. There are very few such players in Russia and no one takes them seriously. Now the main complaint about Fanstratics among HotA players is that the game will not be techno-fantasy (mixing of sci-fi and fantasy). While the game is at an early stage of development, it may be worth making a vote about it among subscribers?
- Firstly, while I want Fanstratics to be thought of as spiritual successor to HoMM3, I don’t want it to be viewed as a Might and Magic ‘rip off’. Incorporating a heavy-to-moderate science fiction element, into a fantasy universe, would certain open it up to this criticism. Secondly, I have already laid the creative foundation upon which the Fanstratics world is based. I am happy with what I’ve done, and look forward to its gradual reveal. While it is not science fiction... it is not stereotypical fantasy. Hopefully, you will like it, and enjoy it. :-)
- HoMM3 Recollection: Stumbling Out of the Gate (part 1 of 3).